Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Q and A - 1

R: I want to work on really challenging projects. I'm rather frustrated with uninteresting work.
R was my junior colleague a few years back who was frustrated with not being part of really high-profile projects despite having the right skills for the job

Myself: Have you wondered why?
R: I don't know. Maybe some folks are biased against me.
Myself: Really? why do you think so?
R: Not sure. I know there were some quality issues in the beta review stage of one older project, but that was such a simple task assigned to me, wasn't challenging enough. I can do better if the right project is given to me.
Myself: If you can prove your mettle in simpler projects, you will be given bigger ones. If you are casual about the simpler ones.. how would somebody trust you with more important projects? You may be better than how you are being perceived, but only you can make the much needed difference.

To cut the long story short, this fairly straightforward and simple feedback seemed to work. R's output was better than before, he was a lot more engaged and got a higher level of acceptance on projects and project teams than ever before.

The Q and A format

No comments:

Post a Comment